Classic Wooden Yawl in Turkey & Greece

The Forum Forums The European Fleets Classic Wooden Yawl in Turkey & Greece

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Axel
      Participant

Hi all,

I am a 52-year old German sailor who dropped his job as a Biology Professor three years ago to live on a boat. Thwo years ago I purchased my VEGA, a classic yawl built back in 1936. I restored her during the past months and she is now in very good condtion (including brand new engine, new hydraulic winldass, new mainsail, new electric, and much much more) and ready to sail the oceans.

VEGA has 8 berths available, two of which (in are occupied by myself and my girflfriend Sabine, who will join in July. There are 4 berths (bunk beds) in two cabins and two more in the main salon. Some pictures can be viewed at http://vega-sailing.de.

I am fascinated by the idea to host an alternative sailing community of some kind on VEGA and join a fleet in Europe or elsewher, but dont really know how to do this or with whom. So far I have chartered the boat out to guests to earn some money for her maintainance, marina fees, insucance etc. but I am not really interested in cruising with tourists. I vould love to use VEGA in a different and more meaningful ways and hope to find some ideas here in the forum, as wella as people who want to join us for some great adventures and meaningful contributions to this world.

Please drop me a line here in the forum or throught the email given in the above website if you are interested in any way to join or help us.

Thanks and good luck with your own projects,
      Axel

Sam Caldwell
      Participant

Hi axel I would love to join you, send me an email to get intouch, samcaldwell95@gmail.com
      (:

Axel
      Participant

Cool, Sam. I wrote you back. Thanks for getting in touch about this. 🙂

Magalie
      Participant

Hi Axel, we are two people that sailed from israel through Cyprus and are now in the Greek Islands, we sailed two years with the Pacific fleet with the alternative sailing community visions. Would be nice to meet, if you still around! You can email me magalaluna@gmail.com

cezar popescu
      Participant

Dear Axel&Sabine and all brothers, the white fleet of PEACE is what I also foresee along already a lot of us… and have all the patience in the world to enjoy her flowering 🙂 numberless peaceful living floating white petals… I also wrote to Richard in the thread called Devon based classic boat owner, started by him, that I would love to join him also and as many of us as possible and this is why I write to you now… I would love to jump from petal to petal in the sailing formation of the white fleet of PEACE… In the end of this post, hugging you all, I will paste a short list of links through my past along with my contacts:
      http://cezarrpopescu.blogspot.ro/
      https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cezarrpopescu
      https://www.youtube.com/user/cezarrpopescu
      https://www.facebook.com/cezarrpopescu
      cezarrpopescu@gmail.com
      +40734522093

Axel
      Participant

As of February 2017, our plans have changed a bit. I am with Christine now and we are doing a lot of updates on the boat this year. We installed new sails and a new rigg already, in addition to the new engine. The next thing to fix is the underwater part of the ship (which requires a few planks to be exchanged and needs new caulking). For this work we are looking for a suitable place in southern Europe or the Caribbean for the time between Nov./Dec. 2017 to about March/April 2018. Requirments are access to suitable timber (oak, teak, oregon pine, ….) and helping hands. If everyone knows a place, please let us know.

Axel & Christine

cezar popescu
      Participant

Thank you dear Axel for accepting my friend request on facebook… Wouldn’t be wise and nice to bring together all the ships of this grate family and live and improve the conditions of the boats together? Does anyone know what Richard is doing and how the work on his ship goes? I ask all this because I would love to see the mother-ships together and each of us giving life to each of them… I appreciate a lot your intention to meet and help Richard in Devon and I am wandering why are we not already working together on both ships 🙂 … I would love to jump from boat to boat with tools and ropes 🙂 … i see the care of the mother-ship on watter as the reflection of the care given to her on ground… we get what we give… so give it all to live it all so… I am wandering where could be that most suitable warm and peaceful place where all boats could meet and live and work together at all the ships in the same time and sail them the same… I am not able now to see it better in other way… Two mother-ships should be enough to choose an open location for the gathering of THE WHITE FLEET OF PEACE… Big hug with all my heart!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.